The End Violence Against Women Coalition have launched a report calling for long-term and targeted action to prevent violence against women and girls.
Violence against women and girls is not inevitable. We need urgent action to ensure that schools, colleges & Unis play their part in creating a safer world for women and girls.
- Nearly one in three 16-18 year-old girls have experienced unwanted sexual touching at school in the UK.
- It is estimated over 20,000 girls under 15 could be at high risk of female genital mutilation in England and Wales each year.
- 1 in 2 boys & 1 in 3 girls think there are some circumstances when it is okay to hit a woman or force her to have sex.
- 1 in 3 teenage girls has experienced sexual violence from a partner.
- In 2010 the Forced Marriage Unit received over 1735 calls to its helpline on suspected/potential forced marriage – 86% were from women.
The report can be downloaded here
They have also launched a new video campaign ‘ We Are Man’ which can be watched here.